GET INVOLVED – MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
What We Do
The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County is a citizen organization dedicated to the preservation and improvement of the environment. We are committed to building sound ecological relationships between people and the natural world that supports all life.
To achieve the aim of environmental preservation and improvement, we provide the community with educational programs and volunteer action on pollution prevention, sustainable land use and energy and natural resource conservation.
We advocate policies which protect drinking water supplies and conserve land for open space and agriculture. We demonstrate waste reduction through recycling drives and reuse centers. We encourage natural resource protection through native landscaping and stream protection programs.
Following are a few of the educational and advocacy efforts carried out by the Defenders during the past few months. Many thanks to all the volunteers who help make these efforts possible!
- Provided recycling services at the Olson Elementary Fun Fair on Woodstock in March
- BYOBag Committee presented a program promoting the use of reusable bags at the Kishwaukee Valley Chapter of the DAR
- Met with Senator Durbin’s and Senator Kirk’s Staffs to advocate for clarification of protection of streams and wetlands under the Clean Water Act
- Continued to facilitate monthly Green Drinks events
- Provided a letter of support for the Food Shed Co-op for a grant application
- Continued to work with Bioneers to conduct the Bioneers Speakers Series
- Presented a program on A Sense of Place to the Bull Valley Garden Club
- Continued to provide support for the Silver and Sleepy Hollow Creeks Watershed Coalition
- Met with industry representatives to advocate on behalf of a bill to ban coal tar sealants in Illinois
- Continued collaboration with CMAP in the development of a watershed plan for Boone and Dutch Creeks
- Supported the passage of the Exotic Weed Act by the State Legislature
- Advocated for protection of state funds dedicated to help the environment by the State Legislature
- Continued our participation with the McHenry County Solid Waste Task Force