A First-Timer’s Guide: Dealing with Rezoning Issues in McHenry County
- Petition with legal description of property & statement of present & proposed zoning must be filed.
- Legal notice of the public hearing must be published not less than 15 days or more than 30 days in advance in newspaper that is published in a township or road district affected by proposed petition.
- Legal notice must be sent to all adjoining property owners by certified mail not less 15 or more than 30 days before such hearing.
- Notice must also be sent by certified mail to the McHenry County Conservation District , all municipalities within 1 1/2 miles of Property in Question (PIQ), all fire protection & school districts covering PIQ, and the road commissioner & township supervisors where the property is located.
- Each parcel or block of parcels must be posted with a zoning poster stating the date of the public hearing.
- Petitioner must apply for a Natural Resources Information Report (NRI) on property with the McHenry County Soil & Water Conservation District.
- Prior to hearing, all required documents & exhibits must be submitted to the Department of Planning. An analysis & reportshall be prepared by the staff engineer of the Planning Department of the ZBA.
- Petitioner must pay fee in advance of hearing. Based on acreage.
Remember – if you don’t take action, no one else will fight for you.
You can make a difference!