Here’s a few ideas on how to be more comfortable in winter by reducing energy consumption and taking care of your well-being.
- First, stay active and social, and when you do go out, layer up with thin layers first.
- Be good to yourself by eating well. Bake and cook, then leave the oven door open.
- Enjoy a healthy hot drink like herbal teas or hot chocolates.
- Keep all doors closed to unused rooms, then light candles and snuggle up.
- Put down rugs and wear slippers or moccasins.
- Add Humidity. Use a humidifier, or simply leave the door open when you shower.
- Let the sun in during the day, and cover drafty windows at night.
- And, a new old idea that’s making a comeback, heat a water bottle to warm the foot of your bed before going to sleep.
Finally, start warm, and you will tend to stay warm. Happy Winter!
This tip brought to you by the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County. www.MCDEF.org.