The McHenry County recycling directories – Green Guide and A-Z Guide – are published annually by the McHenry County College Sustainability Center and distributed with the Northwest Herald on Earth Day.
Paper copies of the Green Guide are available at the Defenders’ office, MCC, local libraries and village offices.
McHenry County Recycling Alternatives for Residents:
If your waste hauler does not offer curbside recycling, here are a few options.
West side of county:
- Falcon Waste & Recycling, (815-334-8689). Click Here for current information. Currently accepting cardboard, newspapers, magazines, metal, untreated wood, computers, junk mail, food & beverage containers. Also accepting carpeting from non-commercial customers.
- Behr Woodstock, 13914 Washington St. in Woodstock (815-206-5511). Call for drop-off hours. Metals & electronics only.
- Woodstock and Harvard elementary schools have large bins in school parking lots for drop-off of all types of paper. NO CARDBOARD.
- Aid Association for Lutherans drop off, Zion Lutheran Church (next to Jewel-Osco), 4206 W. Rt. 120 in McHenry. Contact: Curtis Bremer at 815-385-2853. 24 hour drop-off. All types of paper, books. NO PLASTIC BOTTLES OR GLASS, NO CARDBOARD.
Crystal Lake area:
- Elgin/Crystal Lake Recycling, Inc., 5114 E. Terra Cotta Ave. (Rt. 176), Crystal Lake (815-455-7700). Call for drop-off hours. Aluminum and steel cans, all types of paper and cardboard. NO PLASTIC BOTTLES OR GLASS.
- Day’s & Crawford Scrap Metal, 304 Briarwood, Crystal Lake. (815-459-7751). Call for drop-off hours. Non-ferrous metal only.
- T & C Metal Co, 378 Prairie St., Crystal Lake (815-459-4445). Call for drop-off hours. Non-ferrous metal only.
- Computer Recycling Center, 7510 Virginia Rd, Crystal Lake (815-455-6300). Call first. Computers, accessories, electronics. No TVs. New and refurbished computers are available for purchase.
Township facilities (must be a resident):
- Algonquin Township Road District, 3702 US 14, Crystal Lake (847-639-2700 ext. 6). Daily Drop-off. Aluminum and steel cans, all types of paper, cardboard, glass and plastic bottles. Small electronics (VCR’s, DVD players, microwaves. Specialty drives last Saturday of each month, March through October, 8AM to NOON. Oil, batteries, electronics. Call for more details.
- Nunda Township Road District, 3518 Bay Rd., Crystal Lake (815-459-4410) Call for details.