MAKE A DIFFERENCE DAY!
Saturday, October 28
9AM to NOON
Environmental Defenders’ Property on Dean Street
On Saturday, October 28
, you are invited to “make a difference
” by helping with restoration efforts at The Environmental Defenders’ Kishwaukee Headwaters property on Dean Street in Woodstock as part of the national “Make A Difference Day
” celebration. Volunteers will be removing invasive species and collecting trash around the perimeter of our property as well as the Soil and Water Conservation District property. The event will begin at 9:00 a.m.
and conclude at noon
Volunteers are asked to wear work clothes, gloves, and boots and meet at the Soil & Water Conservation District building at 2222 Dean Street (corner of Dean and Route 14). All necessary equipment, water, and snacks will be provided. If you have any questions about this event, please contact Nancy Schietzelt at 815-356-1710. Come help us make apositive difference in our environment and enjoy some time outdoors!
Come celebrate The Fox River at the 10th anniversary It’s Our River Day in Algonquin!
Local singer/songwriter/musician, Thea Grace Roggenbuck, will perform at the 10th Anniversary “It’s Our River Day” celebration in downtown Algonquin.
August 1-6, visit The Environmental Defenders in the Conservation World Tent! Activities for kids and lots of excellent information about the environment.
DIne out and help raise funds for The Environmental Defenders on May 9!
Environmental Defenders of McHenry County Offering Two $1,000 Scholarships
The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County is offering two Entering College scholarships of $1,000 each to two outstanding high school seniors planning to pursue careers related to environmental studies. To be eligible, the applicants must reside in and attend high school in McHenry County, have a respectable GPA, two letters of recommendation, plan to attend an accredited college or university, and complete an application, which is available online and at the EDMC office.
The application and accompanying documents are due in the EDMC office no later than April 24, 2017.
The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County is a non-profit member organization celebrating its 47th year of dedication to the preservation and protection of the environment, and education of the public.
2017 Scholarship Application
The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County, McHenry County College Sustainability Center and…invite the public to a special presentation by Betty Trummel, retired District #47 educator, who has just returned from Antarctica. On December 2, Betty and 75 other women in science from around the world set sail on a three-week science and leadership expedition to the Antarctic Peninsula. The expedition, called Homeward Bound, took place on board a ship named Ushuaia, named after its home port in Argentina.
Betty will provide us the exciting details about the challenges and rewards of participating in science research and expeditions in the Earth’s southernmost continent and ocean. She will talk about the role of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) in working in this remote, harsh and unique environment and will also discuss how the Earth’s Polar regions are important areas for the study of climate change and how the ecosystems on both land and water are impacted by a warming Earth. In addition, Betty will share a bit about her research and student trip to Arctic Svalbard this past summer. She will have traveled from 79 degrees north to 65 degrees south in a matter of months!
When: Tuesday, January 24 at 7 PM. Doors open at 6:30.
Where: Luecht Conference Center, McHenry County College, 8900 U.S. Highway 14 in Crystal Lake. Event is free to the public, but donations appreciated.
You can make a donation right now through PayPal or mail a check before the end of the year to:
110 S Johnson St, Ste 106
Woodstock IL 60098
Greetings to all of you! Whether you have been with us for decades, years or are new to our organization, know that each & every one of you is an essential part of the work & successes of the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County. You are the energy & force that keeps our organization going! Thank you for all that you do.
As members & volunteers, you commit daily to protecting & preserving our natural world & educating our community about the value of a healthy environment. Because of that commitment, we have an influential voice out there in McHenry County. To take advantage of this, we have been busy growing & changing to make our efforts more impactful. In addition to the annual events that we do such as our Earth Day Celebration, documentary screenings, County Fair booth, It’s Our River Day, fundraising & member events, & many more, we have some big accomplishments to highlight. We ask for your continued support through an end-of-the-year gift to help us keep building on these accomplishments.
- Recycling: We organized drives around the county keeping tens of thousands of pounds of waste out of the landfills, including electronics.
- Water & Natural Resources Protection: We planted hundreds of plants for monarchs & other pollinators this year at four sites in the county. We also advocated for a Water Resources Specialist position at the County level & educated our governmental bodies about the dangers of coal tar sealants.
- Styrofoam Recycling Project: The technology for Styrofoam recycling changed quickly, so our efforts had to shift quickly as well. We began a crowd sourcing program to raise money to continue our successful Styrofoam recycling project.
- The Green Spot: Our little store has done big things this year, collecting & reselling books to raise thousands of dollars to help keep our lights on & computers humming to make sure we can communicate our work to you & the public.
- BYOBag: Our efforts to reduce the use of plastic bags has gone big too, helping 20 municipalities & the county spread the word about not using paper or plastic when shopping, & helping the City of Woodstock to celebrate BYOB for a whole year!
- Strategic Planning: This year we wrote a 3-year Strategic Plan that includes the hiring of a Part-Time Executive Director. This is a big step for our organization, as it will allow us to have someone specifically designated for public outreach.
As you plan for your year-end giving, please consider a generous donation to the Defenders. We are asking for your financial help to move us along in our goals. Please let your dollars follow your heart!
And to keep abreast of all that your donation is accomplishing, please “Like” us on Facebook, read our quarterly newsletter – “EarthConnect”, check out our eNews in your inbox every Wednesday, & visit our website at www.mcdef.org!